Thursday 8 December 2011

Blanket-stitched Felt Hearts


From the first moment of December 1st, 
it is decreed that I am finally allowed to play Christmas songs.

{If I had my way, I think I would play them all year round...but possibly I would have to move into a lonely, but very musically fulfilled, cave far away.}


Don't you just love this time of year: creating the feeling of Christmas magic around the house? 

The carols, 
the decorations, 
the wondrous meaning of it all,
the excitement.


Today, I'm joining in with Make It Merry, 
hosted by Diane at Home Sweet Homemade.




This year, I thought I'd drive the Christmas Magic Santa Express 
for my own felty project. 


It was pretty easy but gave a fanTAStic result. So easy that I made two. 
And so gorgeous that I keep I will be keeping them up all year.
{See, already I made my hermit cave more homely.}

Do you want to have a go?
Is Santa's belt tight round his wobbly tummy?
Course it is!

Here's a tutorial just for you...

All you need to do is this:


Cut out two large red hearts of the same size, 
one medium sized cream or grey heart
and one small red heart

{you can, of course, choose the colours of your dreams, but I rather like the look of the small and large hearts being the same colour and the medium heart providing some kind of contrast}


Pin the small heart to the medium heart. 
{I like it centred but, again, you can choose to offset if that appeals to you.}
 Then, using three strands of a contrasting embroidery thread and an embroidery needle, blanket stitch all around the edge of the little heart to attach it to the medium sized heart.

Do exactly the same with the medium heart 
onto one of the big hearts.


{Try if you can to make your blanket stitches the same size all around the hearts, and pay special attention to the pointed base for a super-neat finish.}

Then stitch the two large hearts wrong sides together, leaving a gap at the top. Pour generously into your felt heart the filling of your choice for 
a really plumptious look. 
I used organic lavender.
{Yum.}

Then continue the blanket stitching, 
leaving a large loop of thread at the top for hanging.


The last stage, to stop your filling from seeping out through the stitching, is to machine stitch around the edge of the large heart, following the line along the bottom of the blanket stitches.


And there you have it: 
a gorgeous, Christmas-magic heart.


So beautifully plump and gorgeous, I almost want to gobble it all up. Almost.


Coming soon, 
a very Modern Country way to display your Christmas cards....


Enter your email address:

to subscribe to Modern Country Style





41 comments :

Decor To Adore said...

Whata gorgeous piece of handiwork. It reminds me of Swedish designs.

Well done!

meppybn said...

Perfecto! I can also see them in tartans - old thrifted blankets especially :)

Karen @ My Goal is Simple said...

Those are so adorable! I bet one can also make holly, stars, and christmas trees the same way and have them be just as cute.

Loo xx from Jumbles and Pompoms said...

Gorgeous, Sarah. And you're right, you could easily have them up all year. Love the idea of stuffing them with lavender. xx

Courtenay@Creek Line House said...

How sad is it that I don't even know how to do a blanket stitch? I always love the way they look. I think you've inspired me to learn!

Deborah said...

This is so pretty, love the colours you chose, I have this book and love it :)

Bee happy x
Have a delicious day!

michele said...

oh honey, they're simply gorgeous plumptious hearts made by such loving hands. i wish i could sew like you.

i'm going to sing you one of my favorites:

OH HOLY NIGHT
THE STARS ARE BRIGHTLY SHINING
IT IS THE NIGHT
OF OUR DEAR SAVIOR'S BIRTH...

peace to you.

michele

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

Oh Courtenay, I DEFINITELY should have added that blanket stitch is easy-peasy once you know how - NOTHING to be scared of - truly!

Sarahxx

Anonymous said...

Aw, they do look so sweet!

Blondie's Journal said...

This is so cute! You did a lovely job, Sarah!

XO,
Jane

loveandlilac said...

Your heart looks lovely and I have a big bag of lavender just waiting to be used! I love red and white and I think they would look lovely all year round xx

A Cozy Cottage in the City said...

Hi Sarah!

Oh I just love this! Now if only I had a sewing machine to do what you do! :) LOVE it - so beautiful & charming! Happy Holidays to you, my dear!!!


XOXO's,
Jessie

Meine Dinge Franka said...

I love hearts and Xmassongs!!!

♥ Franka

Gwen @ Gwenny Penny said...

These are gorgeous, Sarah. I love the gray/red combo, too. Great tutorial!

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

Hey Jessie,

You could easily do the sewing machine part by hand - not quite as quick, perhaps, but still straightforward!

Sarahx

Unknown said...

So adorable. Can't wait to see everything together. It's going to be beautiful-without a doubt.

Anonymous said...

I could almost gobble it up too! Christmas magic is all about full hearts and this pretty plump fabric heart is a perfect reminder. Thank you for giving me even MORE ideas for magical Chrismas cheer Sarah! xo, Diane

Joyce - Quilted Nest said...

Well isn't that cute? And I'm jealous - I can't figure out how to do a blanket stitch for anything. Don't know what's wrong w/ me.

Sarah said...

Oooh, gorgeous!! I'll be giving that a go!!

S x

Karen said...

Hi Sarah
They look great I'm going to give them ago.
Kind Regards
Karen

Ladybird Ln said...

What a simple BEAUTIFUL decoration, and way to add a little Christmas Magic to your home!

Carlee
www.ladybirdln.com

On Crooked Creek said...

Sarah,
These hearts are lovely, dear friend! My favorite, of course, is the trio with the creamy ivory heart centered between the two red hearts! Thank you for showing us with clear, easy to follow, instructions! Have a great weekend...and fill your home with lovely music! "Tis the Season...
Fondly,
Pat

Anonymous said...

Darling! They remind me of Swedish/Scandinavian hearts. Love the color combo of red and gray. Your blanket stitch is so neat. I can see a Christmas tree filled with these.

Enjoy your weekend filled with Christmas tunes :-)

Cindy said...

That is wonderful, Sarah, I wish I had the stuff for it so I could make one tomorrow! I will have to get the supplies next time I'm out shopping.
Hugs, Cindy

Teresa@magazineyourhome said...

Another great craft with a super easy tutorial. Love it!

Teresa@magazineyourhome said...

Another great craft with a super easy tutorial. Love it!

Anonymous said...

Oh! I'm in love with those hearts!!! I will most certainly be making a few for around the house - They will look so lovely and Christmassy in red -- Red and Gold are definitely my favourite Christmas colours :-)

Thanks for the tutorial - Fabulous teaching!

Lizzy x

Susan T said...

So pretty. I think I could manage those. I will tootle out and get appropriate supplies.

LindyLouMac said...

I love your beautiful felt heart Sarah :)

Donna@anangloinquébec said...

Lovely, lovely, lovely! I just may give this a go! This looks like a project I can finish without falling into the procrastination mode! Putting it on my list!
Thanks Sarah! You have certainly inspired me before...finally got my slipcovers done for my chairs!!

Jill said...

The blanket stitch just adds so much and for sure you can leave it up all year. Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

This is so sweet! Love the blanket stitching!

melissa said...

These are great! So simple and so, so pretty! Melissa x

michele said...

i'm going to try them, sarah!

michele

Calypso In The Country said...

It's adorable Sarah! And thanks for the tutorial - not that I am talented enough to handle making one - LOL! But it is very pretty! I also can't wait to see your solution for Christmas cards. That is always a dilemma of mine! Have a great weekend!
-Shelley

Unknown said...

Oh this is adorable and looks so easy to do which are my favourite kind of sewing projects!

xxx

Tricia said...

Oh my goodness, that is so super cute, Sarah! I love the heart pin too. I would almost want to leave that on there and just find something to cover up that pointy end.

Meera @ firstsense said...

I *love* your felt hearts, Sarah! I've been making lavender hearts as little gifts for my clients and these felt ones look so charming!

Hope your December is shaping up wonderfully, my lovely!

Meera xx

món cosit a mà said...

Well done. I love hearts!

Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

Perfect! I love your felt heart. :)

anna said...

RX.ua - онлайн аптека з широким асортиментом
На сьогоднішній день, швидкий ритм життя вимагає від нас постійно бути на висоті і загалом бути здоровими. Здоров'я https://rx.ua/ є найважливішою складовою моно життя, а тому ми маємо піклуватися про нього у всіх аспектах. На щастя, сучасні технології надають нам можливість легко замовляти медичні препарати та засоби гігієни без виходу з дому. Онлайн аптеки вже стали невід'ємною частиною нашого життя і однією з них є популярний ресурс RX.ua.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
01 09 10